Christmas isn’t ALWAYS about chocolate or cinnamon everything… sometimes you need a fruity contrast to even it all out (or at least a change so you can go back to the sweet stuff!
This shortbread recipe infused with lemon and orange is the perfect citrusy treat and is perfect for a spot of cookie decoration – it will make 10-15 depending on the size of your cutter shapes!
- 45g Golden caster sugar
- 200g Plain flour
- 150g Butter
- Zest of half an orange and one whole lemon (unwaxed)
- Icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Add all of the ingredients to one bowl and begin to mix together by rubbing the butter between your finger tips and mixing it in with the dry until it resembles a rubble consistency.
- Smush the mixture together and turn out onto a lightly floured surface – press the dough together to make it easier to roll out but do not knead
- Roll out to about 1-2cm thick and chomp out your shapes using your cutters
- Re roll any remaining dough and chomp again
- Place on the baking trays and bake for around 12-15 minutes
Allow the cookies to cool completely before decorating – mix your icing sugar with lemon juice for an extra hit of citrus – you want the mixture to be pipable in order to decorate the cookies but not too runny that it slides off the cookies. I usually drizzle mine down the side of the bowl as a test first.